After months of preparation, the fateful date of our conference / event approaches.
It is essential to not lose focus until the last second: the drawbacks of the first day of the event can be so many!
Everything in its place … in every place its thing
Before the arrival of our guests, there are many things, decided and prepared well in advance, must not be forgotten in the office or in the store, but arranged and ready in our location for the reception. With the knowledge that every event has a own history and therefore any control instrument will be adapted from time to time, you can identify a basic check list, to be sure not to forget anything.
- What needs to be ready / printed in time (1 week before, to have time to put right any mistakes / oversights!):
- Billboards, posters, signs must all be printed without printing errors in names, etc.
- Print the material for the secretariat: participant list, badges, signature sheets, questionnaires, press releases and the press kit (if applicable)
- Purchase of office supplies for the Congressman kit
- Communication of the event to the ER Emergency and verify that expenses provided are paid.
- Overview of all special requests regarding rooms and catering.
- To check that all the speakers have sent their accompanying slide interventions, in formats compatible with our operating system.
- The checks of the same day:
- The billboards and signs to identify the event spaces (reception, accreditation / Secretarial, meeting room, coffee breaks, poster area, any outdoor areas for smokers) should be placed, properly!. For those arriving in a new place for an event, there is nothing more obnoxious of not knowing where to go, where to turn or do not understand if you are in the right place!
- List of rooms, full of all the necessary annotations. To make sure each guest is assigned his room and check have been taken into account the demands of each one:
- the. room type (suite, high floors, sea view, no carpeting, etc.)
- special arrival times (for example in the late evening)
- Breakfast in the room yes / no
- food intolerance
- Coffee break / buffet: make sure the room is set up according to the logistic informations and the spaces reserved for vegetarian products / vegans / intolerant to, where required.
- The conference room table must be set up with the posters of the event and the names of the first session speakers; glasses and bottles of water must be available to each speaker.
- Accreditation staging area: in addition to the allocation of rooms, which is normally made at the hotel reception, we need to have a ready and functional space for accreditation of participating in the congress. This desk, often arranged outside the conference room, must be provided with all the material to be delivered to participants (with stationery kit, program, badges and event evaluation questionnaires). For very many turnouts, it can be useful to provide 2 desks, divided alphabetically (for example: A-M, N-Z), not to overly extend the accreditation time.
If it is expected the presence of the press, accreditation will also be arranged the delivery of the press kit to journalists.
In the case of assignments of training credits (as for the ECM events) it must also be prepared the signature sheet, which each participant must sign at the conference room entry and exit. They also need to be kept copies of all documents that may be required in case of inspection (sponsorship and financing contracts, conflict of interest statements, letters of appointment to the individual speakers).
- Exhibition spaces: where are planned, to be set up uniformly according to standards previously disclosed to sponsors. It must therefore ensure that these standards have been met by furnisher, in particular that they are prepared and can operate the agreed services: lighting, visibility of logos, grid connection and Wi-Fi coverage, etc.
- Simultaneous interpretation: if the event is international, it can happen that is taken in 2 or more languages. In this case, check the positions for translators, to ensure they audio and microphone work. Likewise the headphones for guests requiring translation must be available in sufficient numbers to accreditation. Verify that the language channels are connected properly to prevent – for example – the Chinese guests listen the English translation and vice versa.
- The speakers’ audio video. Make the audio system operation technical tests, the microphones to the speakers available and tested, verifiy that any portable microphone for questions from the audience have charged batteries and others will be available (especially for multi-day events).
Especially in scientific conferences, the speakers always had visual aids to illustrate their researches. Check these files are loaded on your computer, they are all functioning and that the tools that allow presenters to “turn the page” and indicate the slides are active.
- Connection Test: especially in the case are provided for live streaming or live social communication, you must verify the presence and the efficiency of Internet conneciton.
Good! If you survive to this day … the worst is over!